My Shop (work in progress!)

Friday 4 May 2007

A Strange Practice


As I walk to work there is one street that is nicer than the rest to wak along. The buildings are beautiful red sandstone Vicorian townhouse terraces (much grander than the worker's terrace that I live in which probably used to house about 10+ people when first built), the street lies in-between two busier streets of commuters, it is tree-lined and peaceful. There is a church and you can hear the birds singing.
Most of the cars on this street however are not merely parked - they have occupants. It seems to be an early morning ritual that people pullup on this street and sit and listen to the radio. Both sexes do it. Some read newspapers AND listen to the radio - a feat I'm not sure I can manage.
I wonder why it is that they do this - are they trying to get a good parking space before the mad rush fully begins (although the street is a disk zone limited to 2 hours) or are they simply getting out of the house to avoid the problems there. The car is their private sanctuary in which they can indulge in the pleasures of Radio 4 and The Telegraph.

4 comments:

Gill said...

knock on the windows and ask them!

Karen said...

I think they would shit themselves.

Anyway I don't see so many of them now I go into work half an hour earlier

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

Are you sure it's not Chris Moyles and The Sun? :)

JoeinVegas said...

Are they listening to music, or some word story that is too fascinating to stop listening? I sometimes get stuck like that listening to KPBS, which has marvelous story tellers.